(Reference No.: RSKTO/RAP/10/2021)
The University of Macau (UM) is the only international and comprehensive public university in Macao with English as its working language. It provides all-round education to students through a collaborative whole-person education system that combines faculties and residential colleges in a unique 4-in-1 education model. This model integrates discipline-specific education, general education, research and internship education, and community and peer education. Outstanding scholars from around the world are recruited to create a multilingual and multicultural learning environment. The University’s research strategies consist of leveraging its unique features and advantages and strengthening collaboration in order to scale new heights. Adopting a problem-oriented approach, the University will support disciplines with local characteristics that are also in line with global trends. In recent years, the University has seen a significant development in and a rising international recognition for its teaching, research, and community services. As of 2021, ten disciplines of UM, namely engineering, computer science, chemistry, pharmacology & toxicology, materials science, biology & biochemistry, clinical medicine, psychiatry/psychology, social sciences (general), and agricultural sciences, are included in the top 1% of the Essential Science Indicators (ESI). UM is ranked 201-250 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022, 17th in the Chinese mainland, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao, and 322nd in the UK’s QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) World University Rankings 2022. With the development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (GBA), the launching of the Guangdong-Macao intensive cooperation zone in Hengqin, and new initiatives by the University to boost cutting-edge research and interdisciplinary programs, UM embraces unprecedented opportunities for development and offers bright career prospects to professional in different areas.
The year 2021 marks the 40th anniversary of the University of Macau and the beginning of China’s 14th Five-year Plan. As Macao is integrating into the development of the country, new and historical opportunities are emerging. With an open and confident mindset, and an innovative and enterprising attitude, UM is setting sail for new horizons based on its past achievements. To support the nation’s master plan for scientific and technological innovation, further deepen the building of the international centre of science and innovation in the GBA, and to promote industrial development in the Guangdong-Macao intensive cooperation zone in Hengqin, UM has launched the Research Assistant Professor Program. High-calibre talents will be recruited to undertake research projects to serve the needs of the country and bring out the strengths of the university, thus providing important impetus for technological innovation in the GBA. This program will vigorously promote the industry-university-research collaboration and the development of new industries to diversify the economy of Macao. It will also enhance the university’s postgraduate education, and facilitate the formation of a talent training hub on the west bank of the GBA. These young and knowledgeable professionals will become an important source and talent pool for the faculty team development in UM.
UM now invites applications for the position of Research Assistant Professor in the following areas:
- State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine / Macao Centre for Research and Development in Chinese Medicine (Website: https://sklqrcm.um.edu.mo/)
- State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI (Website: https://ime.um.edu.mo/)
- State Key Laboratory of Internet of Things for Smart City (Website: https://skliotsc.um.edu.mo/)
- Ministry of Education Frontiers Science Center for Precision Oncology (Website: https://fhs.um.edu.mo/en/researchs/research-units/umfscpo/)
- Institute of Applied Physics and Materials Engineering (The Ministry of Education Key Laboratory) (Website: https://iapme.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Cognitive and Brain Sciences (Website: https://ccbs.ici.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Data Science (Website: https://cds.ici.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (Website: https://cair.ici.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Regional Oceans (Website: https://cro.fst.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Applied Mathematics (Website: https://cam.fst.um.edu.mo/)
- Institute of Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences (Website: https://ias.um.edu.mo/)
- Asia-Pacific Academy of Economics and Management (Website: https://apaem.um.edu.mo/)
- Centre for Macau Studies (Website: https://cms.um.edu.mo/)
The first contract period is three years. Those who have outstanding performance can be re-appointed or enter into the track of academic staff as Assistant Professors after open recruitment. The selected candidate is expected to assume duty from early 2022.
- Possess a PhD degree in the above-mentioned related disciplines in a world-renowned university;
- One year or above of post-doctoral research experience;
- Outstanding academic performance in the above-related disciplines;
- Demonstrate a good team spirit and excellent communication skills;
- English is the working language, while knowledge in Chinese/Portuguese will be an advantage.
A taxable annual remuneration between MOP500,000 and 700,000 (approximately USD61,720 to 86,410) will be commensurate with the successful applicants’ academic qualification and relevant professional experience. The current local maximum income tax rate is 12% but is effectively around 5% – 7% after various discretionary exemptions experience.
Applicants should visit https://career.admo.um.edu.mo/ for more details. For application, please fill in the ONLINE application form and upload the following documents: 1) Detailed Curriculum Vitae; 2) Identity Document; 3) Academic certificate; 4) Performance summary form (download here); 5) Research proposal (download here); 6) Five representative academic publications. Review of applications will commence upon receiving applications and continue until the position is filled.
For any enquiries, please contact Research Services and Knowledge Transfer Office at email@example.com. Website: https://rskto.um.edu.mo/. Tel: +853 8822 4210. Address: University of Macau, Av. da Universidade, Taipa, Macau, China
The University of Macau reserves the right not to appoint a candidate. Applicants with less qualification and experience can be offered lower positions under special circumstances.
***Personal data provided by applicants will be kept confidential and used for recruitment purpose only***
** Under the equal condition of qualifications and experience, priority will be given to Macao permanent residents**