Call for Papers
The Annual Conference of Macao Studies 2020 Jointly Convened by Journal of Contemporary Asia, China Information, and Journal of Macau Studies
澳門研究年會2020 暨 《當代亞洲》、《國情導報》、《澳門研究》聯合研討會
We are pleased to invite researchers who are interested in the study of Asia, Greater China, and Macao, to submit paper proposals for presentations at the Annual Conference of the Centre for Macau Studies, to be held on 9-10 December 2020 in Macao. This Annual Conference will be jointly convened by three referred journals, namely Journal of Contemporary Asia, China Information, and Journal of Macau Studies. Selected papers will be considered for publication in the journals.
The Conference will feature keynote address, panel papers, and roundtable discussions on topics related to Asia, Greater China, and Macao. The Conference will be hosted by the Centre for Macau Studies at the University of Macau.
Date: 9-10 December 2020
Venue: Cultural Building (E34), Avenida da Universidade, University of Macau, Taipa, Macau, China
- China Information
- Journal of Contemporary Asia
- Journal of Macau Studies
- Centre for Macau Studies, University of Macau
- Macao Foundation
Themes of the Conference
The conveners welcome proposals for original papers on the following themes related to Asia, Greater China, and Macao:
- Geo-economics, geo-politics, and scalar politics
- Globalization, neoliberalism, and global and regional political economy
- Digital politics and social engineering under Big Data
- Urbanism, heritage, and sustainable development
- Local histories and shifting identities
- Institutional change and governance
- Civil society, citizenship, and resistance
- Class and inequality
- Social cleavages and marginalization
- Papers should represent original works by the authors. They should not be published previously or currently under review by publishers.
- Please submit personal information and paper abstracts (max 300 words) before 15 March 2020 to the webpage: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bxg7jSWyaVLZuj6fztGeTgxotovz7mYCQ3N1XwiNgKo.
- Those authors whose submissions are selected for the Conference will be notified before 15 April 2020.
- Full papers (10,000 words, including notes, tables, and references) should be sent before 1 November 2020.
The conveners will have first right to select and publish the papers or their revised forms. Selected papers will be considered for publication in Journal of Contemporary Asia, China Information, or Journal of Macau Studies, subject to each journal’s refereeing policies and processes. Conference participants who have their papers selected by one of these journals will be advised by 31 January 2021.
***Personal data provided by applicants will be kept confidential and used for the conference only***
Conference Venue, Accommodation, and Registration
The Conference will take place at the University of Macau. The organizer will provide hotel accommodation for three nights (8-10 December 2020 inclusive). Participants are expected to take care of their own travel expenses.
A limited number of travel subsidies are available to graduate students, junior scholars, and colleagues from developing countries. Applicants should indicate in their submission whether they would like to be considered for funding support.
The organizer reserves the right to reject the conference papers and withhold accommodation and travel subsidies should the submitted papers fall short of acceptable scholarly standard.
Pre-registration is needed for the Conference, but no registration fee is required.
- Call for papers – 1 February 2020
- Submission of abstract – 15 March 2020
- Notification of acceptance – before 15 April 2020
- Submission of full paper – 1 November 2020
- Registration – 15 October – 15 November 2020
- Conference dates – 9-10 December 2020
- Journal editors’ advice to authors – 31 January 2021
|Please click the link or scan QR code for Sign Up and abstract submission|
(please contact us if you can’t sign up)